The Fairfax Art League (FAL) is a vibrant cooperative organization of artists of all levels and talents who enjoy the camaraderie of other artists. The FAL provides opportunities to learn various mediums from creative individuals, exhibit and sell artwork, and gain artistic recognition within a friendly, supportive environment. The organization holds monthly meetings (except for January, July, and August) and educational demonstrations, workshops, shows and receptions throughout the year.
Student memberships are available to college level students with a valid student ID.
Rates & Dates
- The Fairfax Art League membership year is from September 1 to August 31.
- Annual membership dues: Regular: $75 / Student: $40
- New Members Only: If joining after May 1, new members will receive the months of May, June, July and August for free
- Two permanent galleries in historic Old Town Fairfax in which members can exhibit and sell their artwork
- A team-oriented environment aimed at working together for artists’ enrichment
- A multitude of opportunities to gather monthly at events promoting the arts, where patrons and artists interact
- Monthly meetings and stimulating demonstrations given by recognized fine arts professionals
- ART&LUNCH programs (some with live models) which foster learning in a sociable and supportive environment
- Recognition by the FAL community and the public through the People’s Choice Awards and the annual Spotlight Show
- A diversity of additional venues in which to exhibit and sell artwork – at exciting locations including the Stacy C. Sherwood Community Center and the Fairfax County Library
- Educational workshops taught by talented artists
- Opportunity to participate in outreach art program for children at Main Street Child Development Center
- Abundance of space to hold solo art exhibits
- Website promotion on the Artist page including a link to the artist’s website
The FAL is a cooperative organization that relies on its members to thrive. All members agree to volunteer a minimum of 24 hours a year (students, 16 hours) to support the organization through gallery sitting and/or by serving on one or more committees (optional). Additionally, members who choose to submit artwork for an exhibit are required to work a minimum of 4 hours in that gallery during the duration of that show. No sales staff is hired. Instead these contributions allow the FAL galleries to remain open to the public and sell the artwork.
Artwork Requirements and Sales
Artwork must adhere to specific requirements to be exhibited to ensure quality of presentation; ease of hanging; and the safety of members, visitors, and the artwork itself. To access Rules & Procedures and for more information regarding hanging requirements, click here.
Members determine the price of their artwork. Once a piece is sold the Fairfax Art League retains a 25% commission and the artist receives the remaining 75%.
Interested in joining? Click here for the membership form! (.pdf format)
Bylaws and SOPs
To view our bylaws please click here.
To view the SOP for solo shows in the Kathryn Higgins Wing of Village Gallery please click here.
Not ready to join? That’s okay! Experience the FAL and decide for yourself.
Option I: The FAL allows non-members to hang their artwork at our galleries for a hanging fee. All artwork must meet the same hanging requirements. For show change drop off dates, please sign up for our newsletter or check our News & Events page.
Non-Member Hanging Fee: $25 for up to 3 pieces of artwork in a single show.
Option II: Guest of a FAL member may exhibit artwork meeting the same criteria but the hanging fee is waived.