The Fairfax Art League (FAL) is a vibrant cooperative organization of artists of all levels and talents who enjoy the camaraderie of other artists. The FAL provides opportunities to learn various mediums from creative individuals, exhibit and sell artwork, and gain artistic recognition within a friendly, supportive environment. The organization holds monthly meetings (except for January, July, and August) and educational demonstrations, workshops, shows and receptions throughout the year.

Student memberships are available to college level students with a valid student ID.

Join Us - New Members Welcome!  Click here!

Rates & Dates

  • The Fairfax Art League membership year is from September 1 to August 31

  • Annual membership dues: Regular: $50 / Student: $30

  • New Members Only: If joining after May 1, new members will receive the months of May, June, July and August for free

Member Involvement

The FAL is a cooperative organization that relies on its members to thrive. All members agree to volunteer a minimum of 24 hours a year (students, 16 hours) to support the organization through gallery sitting and/or by serving on one or more committees (optional). Additionally, members who choose to submit artwork for an exhibit are required to work a minimum of 4 hours in the gallery during the duration of that show. No sales staff is hired. Instead these contributions allow the FAL gallery to remain open to the public and sell the artwork.

To sign up to volunteer and complete your obligations to your art league, please use the link below.

Sign Up!


A permanent gallery in historic Old Town Hall in Fairfax in which members can exhibit and sell their artwork

  • A team-oriented environment aimed at working together for artists’ enrichment

  • A multitude of opportunities to gather monthly at events promoting the arts, where patrons and artists interact

  • Monthly meetings and stimulating demonstrations given by recognized fine arts professionals

  • Art & Lunch programs (some with live models) which foster learning in a sociable and supportive environment

  • Recognition by the FAL community and the public through the People’s Choice Awards and the annual Spotlight Show

  • A diversity of additional venues in which to exhibit and sell artwork – at exciting locations such as the Fairfax Regional Library

  • Educational workshops taught by talented artists

  • Opportunity to participate in outreach art program for children at Main Street Child Development Center

  • Abundance of space to hold featured artists exhibits

Artwork Requirements and Sales

Artwork must adhere to specific requirements to be exhibited to ensure quality of presentation; ease of hanging; and the safety of members, visitors, and the artwork itself. To access Rules & Procedures and for more information regarding hanging requirements, click here.

Members are also required to sign an exhibitor agreement when submitting their work for the regular shows.

Members determine the price of their artwork. Once a piece is sold the Fairfax Art League retains a 25% commission and the artist receives the remaining 75%.

Featured Artist

One of the great artist benefits for members of good standing is to exhibit their work as a featured artist. Please go through the contract and procedures outlined in the Contract for a featured artist exhibit in order to apply for a featured artist exhibit.

Non-Member Artists

Not ready to join? That’s okay! Experience the FAL and decide for yourself. Attend a reception, a demonstration or any one of the events open to the public.  You can also choose one of the two options below to show your work.

Option I: The FAL allows non-members to hang their artwork one time at our gallery for a hanging fee. All artwork must meet the same hanging requirements. For show change drop off dates, please sign up for our newsletter or check our Events page.

Non-Member Hanging Fee: $25 for up to 3 pieces of artwork in a single show.

Option II: A guest of a FAL member may exhibit artwork meeting the same criteria but the hanging fee is waived.